Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Brazilian Blowout Blow Up

I've been offering the Brazilian Blow Out at the barber lounge for over a year now.  All the controversy about the ingredients and the potential dangers of doing this service for both the client and the stylist have made my nappy hair stand on end.  Despite the online rumors and supposed dangers, there is no denying the amazing results from this trendy service.  Its no wonder its the hottest in salon treatment favored by celebs like Nicole Richie,  Halle Berry and Lindsay Lohan. Who doesn't want fabulous, frizz free, glossy locks without the work?


There are a number of keratin treatments on the market that I've researched.  They all promise frizz free, shiny hair lasting anywhere from one to six months, but at what cost?  Some of the products do contain trace amounts of formaldehyde or a derivative of the harmful chemical.  Some companies actually refuse to release a list of their "proprietary" ingredients, so who really knows what they contain.  All I know is that I've experienced burning eyes and a tightness in my chest from the fumes while performing the service and several clients have reported some hair loss and skin irritation.

I've called the manufacturer a number of times trying to dispel my worries.   They tell me again and again that their product is formaldehyde free and there is no danger to my clients or my staff.   The latest post on their website claims that the Oregon tests were faulty.  Check out what they have to say on the Brazilian Blowout website

The majority of my clients still ask for the service despite the controversy and my staff still wants to perform the service.  It just makes me wonder how well the FDA is really watching these cosmetic companies and how much they really care about our safety?  As a stylist who works with these products everyday I dearly hope the Keratin treatment isn't tomorrow's Asbestos.  In the meantime I guess I'll just hold my breath.






1 comment:

  1. Greg, I for one am a total convert of the Brazilian Blowout. I for one was never questioning chemicals used in this service but I'm really glad you are! I think these chemicals are much more of an problem for you and your team than for the end customer, but still, thanks for looking out for us as usual!

    ReplyDelete